Saturday 18 January 2014

The Fault in Our Stars


My thoughts are stars I can’t fathom into constellations.
-Augustus Waters, The Fault in Our Stars

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you The Fault in Our Stars (otherwise known as the saddest, most depressing book in the history of the universe.) Before I read it, all my friends told me I would cry at the end. I chose not to believe them, or at least, I tried not to. So I read the book hoping for a happy ending that never came.
Don’t get me wrong, it was a really good book. It’s actually one of the most popular YA books right now. It was a New York Times Best Seller. The book is just really, really tragic. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to read it a second time; I don’t want to put myself through so much pain again.
That said, the book wasn't entirely sad. It made me smile at points. I even found myself chuckling after the depressing part, which made me feel slightly guilty. The main character was incredibly witty and had such a dry sense of humour. Her love interest was endearing and over dramatic.The story is about Hazel, a sixteen-year-old girl who is dying of cancer, and her relationship with Augustus Waters.
I know what you’re thinking. You’re already thinking, “the girl bites it”.
Well, I guess you’ll just have to read and find out.

My Smart Question of the Day
Why do people like sad books? Does reading about other people’s sadness make us feel better about our own lives, or does it just make us feel worse?

No comments:

Post a Comment